“The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.” (Mat 9v37)
Jesus spoke these words at a time when he was particularly aware of the crowds of spiritually directionless people around him. What he saw as especially tragic was that, although there were many starving for the gospel, there were precious few workers willing or able to bring the gospel to them.
The situation today is very similar. Many are dying without knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour and many are not growing to maturity in him. While it is the whole church’s responsibility to declare Jesus’ gospel to the world, he has given particular people gifts to equip the church for this task.
“It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service” (Eph 4v11-12)
It is critical to Jesus’ mission in the world that those who have a gift for teaching his Word begin to discover, develop and exercise it. An apprenticeship provides an ideal testing ground for those who have shown interest and ability in this area. Here are five great reasons for doing an apprenticeship:
- Discover where Jesus has uniquely gifted you through serving his people and world
- Develop your gifts in a supportive environment where you will learn valuable ministry and practical skills
- Deepen your relationship with Jesus Christ through a deeper knowledge of the Bible and theology
- Draw on the experience of more mature gospel ministers
- Direct your life for Jesus in a way that maximises what he has given you